It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Making it as a manga-ka & my manga.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:27 am 
Normal-Fan

Listening To: You While You Snore At Night
Reading: How To Stalk Random People
Eating: Your Soul
Drinking: Your Blood
Playing: Your Video-Games
I haven't really been on these forums, and I only posted two or three times since I made an account but...oh well :P . Anyway, I don't want to reveal too much info, but I'll reveal some to use as a "reference" to me or what-not. My middle name is "Mesih", but in the country I just moved to, everyone is called upon by their middle names if they have one. So before I get too off-topic, I'm sure most of you on this forum have the same dream as me - to make it big as a manga-ka. I'm pretty sure most of you will make it, but only with determination and your lust for manga. Recently, I've won a scholarship to an art high-school, but I don't think that will do much for me. I'm the kind of person who likes to analyze information, take everything apart, then try to boost what I can - so it probably won't come as a shock that I draw loads of manga characters daily, but I really want to make an organized manga with screen tones and pretty much all the essentials. (I think I've gone off-topic but...oh well :D .) I purchased a copy of Manga Studio Debut 4, but I didn't scan any drawings to edit yet. Anyway, I know it sounds REALLY off-topic, but I invented this thread to share my manga, and just talk to others about their dreams, even if they don't want to become manga-kas. So without further ado, I present my manga's summaries:

(First ever manga I thought about. I was around 5-6 years old at the time.)
Title: Orbs
Summary: An average high-schooler who is called "slacker" by most of the people around him is sick of every day's routine, and on one "fateful" day, wakes up late for school. As he steps foot outside his house, he realizes he doesn't know the road to school, and ends up getting lost. When he comes to a fork in his path, he chooses a dark and desolate path rather than the sunlight-filled one. As he walks down the path, he is guided by a light, and when he loses all his energy, runs into a dead end. However, when he touches the wall that was at the end of this path, he is teleported to a world full of people fighting each other to their deaths. As he tries to stay alive, he discovers new allies, and power-filled spheres that are called "Teiri Obu", or Theorem orbs. If this average boy wants to return to his world, he has to survive in this one first.
Notes: I made two sequels which I liked even better than the original Orbs, but I won't show them because they are somewhat similar to the plot.

(Second serious manga I made, not counting Orbs' sequels. I was 10 or 11 years old at the time.)
Title: Parasyte!
Summary: A young, 11-year-old child is just socializing with his friends one day, when they decide to creep into a laboratory. Once they are inside, the doors are locked and a voice tells them that only one of them can go unharmed. The four boys make their decision, and a gas mask is found in a corner. The chosen boy puts on the mask as gas fills the room, however he is traumatized and falls unconcious. When he wakes up, he discovers he is in his room, and his door is locked shut. He unlocks it to find a mutated human dead in his hallway. He steps outside to find zombie-like creatures manifesting his neighborhood. He gathers up all the survivors he can find, only to discover they have supernatural powers, whereas he is still an average kid. This is their quest to survive, and try to turn humanity back to what it was.
Notes: I didn't put it into the summary, but the ending features a major plot twist where his friends in the accident are the cause of this parasite (the name for zombies in the series) outbreak.

(First manga I made with my best friend. I was 12 years old at the time.)
Title: Shokumatsu Rensa.
Summary: In our world, nothing is impossible. This is proven true when a group of teenagers receive pets that are able to infuse with their owners to create human-animal hybrids. These teenagers are given a task: to take down two menacing villains that plan on "refreshing" the world. As they develop deeper bonds between each other, they discover that the organization they are working behind isn't giving them the entire truth, or any truth for that matter...
Notes: I still have to edit it much more, but this is the basic plot without giving out too much info on it.

(Latest manga I made. I was 13 at the time.)
Title: Tenshi to Akuma no ma ni.
Summary: Two complete opposites each obtain a black-and-white shard, one through inheritence, the other through theivery. When each one receives a shard, they are required to pass a test, however, when one fails his test, a catastrophe occurs and within it, two evils begin to grow. Once the duo realize they can tap into their shards, they summon one half-angel and one half-imp to aid them on their journey. The adventure begins, and evil ticks its clock down.
Notes: I really have to work more on this one, but this is the basic outline.

I will post some artwork when I have the time, but I want you to pick which I should post, so please mention it in your comment.

Post subject: Re: Making it as a manga-ka & my manga.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:46 am 
Forever-A-Fan

Listening To: Why Bacon is awesome
Reading: The Bacon Cookbook
Eating: Bacon
Drinking: Liquid Bacon
Playing: Bacon Barbarian IX: The Quest for the Crispy Bacon
Totally in the wrong place... But... 1st thing. Don't gve your manga Japanese names. It looks bad. (Did that before. NEVER AGAIN.)

Celestial-Fox wrote:
COME BAAAAAAAACCCCCCKKKKKKK--

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:12 am 
Devilish-Fan

Location: I have a hair trigger, black magic, and a short fuse; so bring it.
Bacon Barbarian wrote:
1st thing. Don't gve your manga Japanese names. It looks bad. (Did that before. NEVER AGAIN.)

I for one never agreed with this, call your character silly goose you want, its your creation and your own world. If people have a problem with it tell them to get lost, nothing is making them read it. To me this is no different than someone telling me not; give my characters an African/African sounding name or African tribal name coughzulucough, don't put any hip hop or rap names in my comic and so on....

Now with that said one thing I would advise is research before you just through letters together. research areas, and culture s of w/e part of an Asian community to come up with some sense of creating a name that doesn't sound cheesy or half ass'd. This was brought to you by, hikeem lakutta shabaz zulu.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:10 pm 
Obsessed-Fan

No amount of research could ever compare to going there and experiencing it. Even still, you have to go off the beaten tourist path to get a real feel for the place. 90% of the TV shows I've seen on Alaska are horrendously inaccurate/unrealistic. (Ice Road Truckers, Sarah Palin's Alaska, that one State Troopers show, the Man vs. Wild episode where he's in Seward...)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:14 pm 
Devilish-Fan

Research is more than just turning on a tv you know, many researchers actually to the places and study there, I thought that was evident. You should never depend on a tv show as a basis for any kind of research.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:39 am 
Normal-Fan

I know I probably shouldn't give them Japanese names (probably because I never liked them as a kid) but I do have some knowledge of Asia - I moved to it five or so months ago. However, the names required some research, and I fit it to their personalities, plus I kind of actually liked mixing in some Japanese titles in there. Now I know most of these need editing, but I think I might be able to "twist" them to a unique writing style to make the story more interesting. I have won a few awards for literature in my old schools, and I think if I just stop being lazy, I can make them better. Don't take this the wrong way though - I'm happy you guys pointed out what I need to fix, and told me what I could make better. However, you're missing one half of the entire thread's point: What do you think about being a manga-ka? I know it sounds weird, but I want to see what other people think, and I just want to talk about it. I've never met someone with the same dream as me, so please post what you think about manga-kas in general. (Yes, I know I'm strange :D )

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:18 pm 
Three-Fan

I think being a manga-ka is often a lot harder then people think it is. I wanted to draw manga for a living when I was younger, but after I looked more closely at the job, I decided it wouldn't suit me very well (I'm not great with deadlines). I think it can be fun though if you really enjoy what you're doing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:30 pm 
Devilish-Fan

You want to know how difficult being a mangaka is, just look at a comic book artist. The deadlines and amount of stress go hand in hand really.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:00 am 
Fan's-Fan

Reading: ソードアート・オンライン 7
Playing: アクセル・ワルド
M3S1H wrote:
plus I kind of actually liked mixing in some Japanese titles in there.

One of the basic rules of thumb when writing is that you need to know your audience. Unless you're writing to a Japanese audience, you should keep your titles and whatnot to English. It's less confusing and will not get you criticized by anyone reading it. There are many people out there who don't like Weaboos/people pretending to be Japanese, so the less you are associated with them, the better. In addition, your titles don't sound very natural so I think you'd do a lot better keeping them in English.

M3S1H wrote:
However, you're missing one half of the entire thread's point: What do you think about being a manga-ka? I know it sounds weird, but I want to see what other people think, and I just want to talk about it. I've never met someone with the same dream as me, so please post what you think about manga-kas in general. (Yes, I know I'm strange :D )

If you want people to focus on this topic only, then you should have posted your ideas in a different thread.

M3S1H wrote:

You really need to do your research before picking titles.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:35 am 
Normal-Fan

M3S1H wrote:

You really need to do your research before picking titles.[/quote]

Is it because I used a "y" in paras"y"te instead of the correct grammar, which is an "i"? I know that's not how you spell parasite, but I felt like I was drawn to placing the y where the i should be...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:38 am 
Three-Fan

if you click the link, you'll see that what ceta meant is that there is already a manga series by that name.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]