It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sann's Oekaki Tutorial! (with Shi-Painter)
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:32 am 
Founder

There was an excellent Oekaki Tutorial posted by Sann in our former forum, and I'd like to post it again for new Oekaki users. Check it out below!

Sann wrote:
First of all, I'm not a professional artist or super-awesome-l33t at Oekaki. :P (In fact, I haven't done any oekaki until lately again) I simply made this tutorial to help anyone who may find it helpful, and hopefully it will give those who have never tried oekaki before an idea of what to do in oekaki.

Second of all, this tutorial only shows how I usually draw oekakis, but there are thousands of different ways to do them. There are also millions of extremely professional oekaki tutorials that I would suggest everyone to look them up.

Third of all, I was going to list all the functions and stuffs but... I got lazy. :lol: So feel welcome to post any question you may have and I'll try my best to answer them all.

I don't know why my oekaki is in Mandarin Chinese, or is it suppose to be like that? So sorry if the translation is wayyy off and just bear with me:

The rest is pretty straight forward, so let's move on to the drawing part!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

STEP 1 - LEARN HOW TO LAYER!:

Here is a picture of how I usually use layers:

Layer is a great way to draw/color different things. It will make sure that you don't overlap your drawings/colors and make your life ALOT easier. Bascially always have a layer for your line art (which is usually on top of your colors) and just create different layers for different colors you'd put on the drawing. You can open the little layer window by left clicking on where 'Layer 0' is. You can 'hide' the layer by right-clicking on the same spot. You can also change the opacity of the layer by using the slide bar (which default is 100%).

STEP 2 - DO THE LINEART FIRST! :

Before you color, you should always finish your line art first. (Make sure you only use one layer to do your line art! Unless you are trying something really complex) There are also different ways to do line art, in this picture I simply just did everything with pencil. Though you can always use the pen tool to get a more smoothing, soft touch to your lineart.

STEP 3 - ON TO THE COLORING! :

Once you've done your lineart, it's time to color! (Yay!) Always start out with the lightest color (except highlights), then shading it into darker color(s). Here I used a cel-type ish of coloring style. You may adjust different types of color by sliding the R-G-B slider, don't just use the default color template!

STEP 4 - MORE COLORING! (Don't be afraid to redo!) :

I didn't like how the coloring was turning out, so I tried a different coloring style by erasing the old colors and making everything soft with the water color tool.

STEP 5 - MORE MORE COLORING -- AND SHADING! :

After the skin I moved on to the hair! Here I used a darker color for shading and make it look like manga style-ish. Remember to use more than one color when shading if you wanted more details. Don't forget to use the 'Darken' function to shade too if you don't know what color to use for shading.

STEP 6 - TIME FOR SOME HIGHLIGHTS! :

Don't forget the highlights after shading! Here I simply used a lighter color to make the highlights stand out.

STEP 7 - CLEAN UP UNWANTED COLORS! :

Simply erase the colors that went outside of your lineart with an eraser tool, just be careful and don't accidently clear everything.

STEP 8 - MORE HIGHLIGHTS! :

I just added more highlights with the pen tool, you can also use 'Lighten' + 'Darken' function to tweak your drawing. You can see that I have the skin on a different layer and what it'd look like without the lineart.

STEP 9 - BACKGROUND TIME! :

Once you've done everything, it's time to move onto the background!

STEP 10 - FINISHING UP:

Here I've used the 'RE-MASK' tool so that I could change the color of my lineart. I also added little curls and stuffs for the hair.

TADA~ and now you have your final product!
Here is the flash animation of how I did this drawing on MOB oekaki:
>>>Click me to watch the animation!!!<<<

RANDOM TIPS THAT ARE REALLY USEFUL (to me at least):

- Right click on your mouse is your friend. When you right click on a color it will work as an 'eyedropper' tool, meaning it will find and set the color to the color that you right clicked on. You can also draw anything while holding down your left mouse button, then right click to do a quick undo.

- Use 'UNDO' as much as you want. If you don't like something you just did? Simply undo it. Don't ever worry if you have to redo the whole thing.

- Play with opacity! See the grey slidebar that says 'A255'? Play around with it, you can slowly gradiant your color with it if you master it!

- Play with R-G-B slider! You can often get some really neat colors!

- Practice, practice, practice! Though oekaki can sometimes takes hours to do, but practice makes it perfect! I look back at some of the oekakis I did years ago, and boy, it's ........ horrible. >_> But now I look at my current oekakis I actually feel satisfied with some of them!

- For the love of god, and your precious wrist/hand, get a tablet.
:oops: Though it's not 'unpossible' to draw oekaki with mouse (in fact, there are alot really, really talented artists who can draw professional looking oekakis by mouse), but having a tablet would help ALOT. (But don't expect your art will look all professional in a day if you dont practice, even if you have a tablet. :P )

For fun purposes here are some of the oekakis I did throughout year 2002 til now (with/without tablet):

(with a mouse)

(with a mouse)

(with a mouse)

(with a tablet!)

(yayy tablet~)

The rest are all with a tablet :P

Anyway, I hope some of you guys find this helpful, and THANK YOU for reading! :D

Post subject: Re: Sann's Oekaki Tutorial! (with Shi-Painter)
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:04 pm 
Three-Fan

Listening To: Music
Reading: Books
Eating: Food
Drinking: Water
Playing: Street Fighter IV
I couldnt find this, thanks for reposting it! Now I can finally use Oekaki again without feeling confused :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:35 am 
Founder

That's great! So, you're going to make masterpieces from now on right? ;D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:05 am 
New-Fan

How much is it and where did you get it ?!?!
:shock: :o :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:24 am 

Listening To: All old and new Rock music.
Reading: Toradora
Eating: Anything that has to do with hamburger.
Drinking: Water
michelle88 wrote:

It's on the website, and it is free. Just click oekaki at the top.

Hope this helps. XD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:48 pm 
New-Fan

ozzaharwood wrote:
michelle88 wrote:

It's on the website, and it is free. Just click oekaki at the top.

Hope this helps. XD

It helped alot, lol, Thankyou very much. :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]