It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
 Post subject: Re: Beyond death? Rebirth?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:12 pm 
Mega-Fan

I choose Valhalla Image

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:14 pm 
Fan's-Fan

Listening To: Sound waves
Reading: English words
Eating: edible matter
Drinking: water-based liquids
Playing: Halo Reach, Skate 3
Kodos wrote:
That's stupid.

:oops:

"Why so serious?" Ugh, let me rephrase it to: lets use our imaginations to come up with some fun after-death situations!

But, if you're still game for some serious business, how's about this: would it be possible to build something close to heaven? Since the computer is a giant organic brain, could scientists of the future use their knowledge of neuroscience to create a computer capable of containing a human mind? If the brain is just matter, it shouldn't be impossible to convert that brain into data. Then, they could build a medium through which these minds could communicate with one another or with living humans. It wouldn't be a perfect life nor eternal, so it wouldn't be heaven, but it would be an afterlife.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:02 pm 
Super-Dooper-Fan

Location: Virgo Supercluster; Local Group; Milky Way Galaxy; Orion Spiral Arm; Sol; Earth
Playing: http://tinyurl.com/terminusest
Fenn wrote:
Kodos wrote:
That's stupid.

"Why so serious?" Ugh, let me rephrase it to: lets use our imaginations to come up with some fun after-death situations!

But, if you're still game for some serious business, how's about this: would it be possible to build something close to heaven? Since the computer is a giant organic brain, could scientists of the future use their knowledge of neuroscience to create a computer capable of containing a human mind? If the brain is just matter, it shouldn't be impossible to convert that brain into data. Then, they could build a medium through which these minds could communicate with one another or with living humans. It wouldn't be a perfect life nor eternal, so it wouldn't be heaven, but it would be an afterlife.

Yes. And lots of SF writers explore it. Banks' latest Culture novel that I mentioned dealing with Heaven and silly goose, Surface Detail is exactly about this.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:52 am 
Lucky-Fan

Listening To: Lamb of God
Reading: Your lame posts
Drinking: Coke
Playing: World of Warcraft
Superdooperphailmachine wrote:
I remember hearing somewhere that If you were really bad you were reincarnated as a woman.

Superdooperphailmachine wrote:
I choose Valhalla Image

I can't believe I used to despise you. XD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:00 am 
Fan's-Fan

Kodos wrote:
Fenn wrote:
Kodos wrote:
That's stupid.

Yes. And lots of SF writers explore it. Banks' latest Culture novel that I mentioned dealing with Heaven and silly goose, Surface Detail is exactly about this.

Hm...
Dealing with morality, would this be a good thing? I could see a lot of good coming out of it, but I could also see it being abused. In the wrong hands people could start passing judgment on the dead by creating not just an afterlife but a "heaven-and-silly goose" where anyone they deem "evil" is placed in a computer and subject to mental torture indefinitely. Yikes!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:23 am 
Forever-A-Fan

Listening To: Why Bacon is awesome
Reading: The Bacon Cookbook
Eating: Bacon
Drinking: Liquid Bacon
Playing: Bacon Barbarian IX: The Quest for the Crispy Bacon
We aren't far from uploading our brains as it is.

Celestial-Fox wrote:
COME BAAAAAAAACCCCCCKKKKKKK--

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:32 am 
Three-Fan

Listening To: AMY MEREDITH
Reading: Books
Eating: Food
Drinking: Liquid
Playing: SIMS!
I wonder what would happen if you uploaded a chickens brain..

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:36 am 
Super-Dooper-Fan

Location: Virgo Supercluster; Local Group; Milky Way Galaxy; Orion Spiral Arm; Sol; Earth
Playing: http://tinyurl.com/terminusest
Fenn wrote:
Hm...
Dealing with morality, would this be a good thing? I could see a lot of good coming out of it, but I could also see it being abused. In the wrong hands people could start passing judgment on the dead by creating not just an afterlife but a "heaven-and-silly goose" where anyone they deem "evil" is placed in a computer and subject to mental torture indefinitely. Yikes!

silly goose is the most monstrous and horrific idea ever fucking conceived. Anyone who sincerely believes in silly goose is worse than a god damned silly goose. That's the entire point of the book. The civilizations running silly goose's are facing pressure and possible war in the Real from the civilizations which have the decency to realize eternal torture is not something anyone deserves, ever.

Bacon Barbarian wrote:

You've said a lot of stupid things over the year or so, but this easily takes the cake.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:40 am 
Forever-A-Fan

Listening To: Why Bacon is awesome
Reading: The Bacon Cookbook
Eating: Bacon
Drinking: Liquid Bacon
Playing: Bacon Barbarian IX: The Quest for the Crispy Bacon
Kodos wrote:
Bacon Barbarian wrote:

You've said a lot of stupid things over the year or so, but this easily takes the cake.

I kid you not. I found some news article saying this. Said something about this being possible by 2030. I realize it doesn't mean it's true but still... I felt like I'd share it regarless. :lol:

EDIT: Found it. 2040, my bad.

Celestial-Fox wrote:
COME BAAAAAAAACCCCCCKKKKKKK--

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:40 pm 
Fan's-Fan

Kodos wrote:
Fenn wrote:
Hm...

silly goose is the most monstrous and horrific idea ever fucking conceived. Anyone who sincerely believes in silly goose is worse than a god damned silly goose. That's the entire point of the book. The civilizations running silly goose's are facing pressure and possible war in the Real from the civilizations which have the decency to realize eternal torture is not something anyone deserves, ever.

When you say "believe in silly goose" do you mean "support the idea of silly goose" or "believe silly goose exists?"

Regardless, that's my own fear as well. We can't rely on the human race as a whole to oppose silly goose, even if we as individuals know it is wrong. But then again, powerful judgment falling into the wrong hands is not new on Earth (see: nuke).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:45 pm 
Fan's-Fan

Listening To: my shinigami
Reading: my death note
Eating: apples
Drinking: poison
Playing: A REALLY BAD GAME
What is it that makes animals react to "spirits" more than humans? Can they really sense the presence of a spiritual being? Or is it thAt animals have a closer relationship to the spirit world. For those who believe could it be that there is no other world and they are forced here, we just can't sense them. Evp have evidence of voices. And infared videos show apparitions. Why is it soo hard to to connect to them and understand more about the subject?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:42 pm 
Super-Dooper-Fan

Listening To: Binary Star
Reading: Lolita
Eating: Food
Drinking: Alcohol
Playing: FPS-RPG/Indy
Bacon Barbarian wrote:
Kodos wrote:
Bacon Barbarian wrote:

Given current virtual-brain software (running on super-computers) is predicted to only be able to simulate a human brain in around ten years, and assuming that by the time home computers have the power to do that, brain scanning has reached an advanced enough level to recreate the brain virtually in perfect detail, an optimistic projection for brain uploading is 2060 or 2070. I'd say 2100 or 2110 are more likely, to be honest. And I'm also assuming that we've worked out how to feed sense data into a human brain and extract movement data by then, which is another extremely complicated thing to do. So I think my latter projection is more likely.

How exactly is 100 years 'not very far'?

My Writing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:55 pm 
Obsessed-Fan

Location: Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
Reading: Priest
Nah 100 years isn't too far at all, especially if you live to be 100 whoa. Then again we'll be wiped out by then.
Sign me up for this brain upload thing, I'm all in.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:09 am 
Ultimate-Fan

whats the point of uploading ur brain anyways

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:29 am 
Fan's-Fan

Listening To: my shinigami
Reading: my death note
Eating: apples
Drinking: poison
Playing: A REALLY BAD GAME
I would be willing, considering I live that long. I won't have anything to lose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18