It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: UFOs
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:03 pm 
Super-Dooper-Fan

Location: Virgo Supercluster; Local Group; Milky Way Galaxy; Orion Spiral Arm; Sol; Earth
Playing: http://tinyurl.com/terminusest
The best Enterprise.

Well, at least the best Enterprise from a show centered around such a ship. I think I may like the Sovereign slightly more.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:22 pm 
Fan's-Fan

Listening To: Sound waves
Reading: English words
Eating: edible matter
Drinking: water-based liquids
Playing: Halo Reach, Skate 3
Kodos wrote:
Because those are ideas which run contrary to everything we know about reality and ergo have not a single shred of evidence in their favor, and much evidence against their favor.

Furthermore, you cannot even talk intelligently about a soul. Existence is defined by qualities. To know something exists requires we know at least one thing about it. I've said this about God, before, but it applies to souls as well.

So, tell me, what is it you know about souls? Give me at least one quality of a soul. Then please tell me how you arrived at this knowledge. And, no, "metaphysical" is not acceptable. I want a positive quality. Do not tell me what a soul is not tell me what a soul is.

GunZet wrote:
Honestly I have no idea what traits of a soul would be. I don't know what a soul is, or if they even exist, but then I can't say they -don't- exist either. All I know is having a "soul" is simply a part of your personality/humanity. If you don't have a soul you're like...flying around in your batmobile killing orphan children for example. Take THAT.

Kodos wrote:
If you cannot even say a trait of something, you can say with certainty it does not exist. Period. In order to even have an idea you need to have a quality. The higgs boson may or may not exist, but a scientist can tell you what it would entail. Likewise for the graviton or any number of other hypothetical particles. Same for even fictional things like a lost city or something. I could tell you things about it. This is necessary to have any sort of discussion.

"I believe in souls!"
"What are souls?"
"I don't know!
"Then what do you believe?"

The only thing that has no qualities is non-existence. So until you can define a single quality of a soul, I can say with 100% certainty that the soul as you are speaking of it has no qualities and ergo does not exist.

edit: This is a derail, anyway. Take it to the soul thread, or perhaps even Psalm.

Complete De ja vu, huh Kodos? If anyone wants to continue this, come here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1631

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:37 pm 
Fan's-Fan

Listening To: my shinigami
Reading: my death note
Eating: apples
Drinking: poison
Playing: A REALLY BAD GAME
Kodos wrote:
If you cannot even say a trait of something, you can say with certainty it does not exist. Period. In order to even have an idea you need to have a quality. The higgs boson may or may not exist, but a scientist can tell you what it would entail. Likewise for the graviton or any number of other hypothetical particles. Same for even fictional things like a lost city or something. I could tell you things about it. This is necessary to have any sort of discussion.

"I believe in souls!"
"What are souls?"
"I don't know!
"Then what do you believe?"

The only thing that has no qualities is non-existence. So until you can define a single quality of a soul, I can say with 100% certainty that the soul as you are speaking of it has no qualities and ergo does not exist.

edit: This is a derail, anyway. Take it to the soul thread, or perhaps even Psalm.
no offense but have you been to the afterlife if there is one, do u know personally that such places do or do not exsist. And i know you will reply to my post disagreeing and saying i have no proof either. what do u believe happens after death?? Are you saying life has no meaning but to be born and die. so, what you are saying is in stead of a soul we humans have jeans that make up what and who we are??? Thinking about this is really creepy because, we all know the day will come, and there is nothing we can do but wait. just sit down and think about all this stuff, does anyones else just wonder

Last edited by ryuk8apples on Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:39 pm 
Obsessed-Fan

Location: Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
Reading: Priest
*Genes...sry I had to xD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:39 pm 
Super-Dooper-Fan

Location: Virgo Supercluster; Local Group; Milky Way Galaxy; Orion Spiral Arm; Sol; Earth
ryuk8apples wrote:
no offense but have you been to the afterlife if there is one, do u know personally that such places do or do not exsist. And i know you will reply to my post disagreeing and saying i have no proof either. what do u believe happens after death?? Are you saying life has no meaning but to be born and die. so, what you are saying is in stead of a soul we humans have jeans that make up what and who we are???

This is a derail. Stop doing this. I'm going to reply to this in the soul thread. Go there.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:44 pm 
Fan's-Fan

GunZet wrote:
*Genes...sry I had to xD

lol sorry i just get so hyped up and then i cant think strait, also i have been know to mess up on spelling and punctuation. But its the thought that counts

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:08 pm 

Listening To: All old and new Rock music.
Reading: Toradora
Eating: Anything that has to do with hamburger.
Drinking: Water
*Straight, sorry I had to.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:23 pm 
Fan's-Fan

ozzaharwood wrote:
*Straight, sorry I had to.

np, seen any UFO's recently, lol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:51 pm 
New-Fan

ok if the universe IS infinite then isnt there allso infinite possibilities???
yes i asked question in response to a question

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:53 pm 
Obsessed-Fan

It's infinitely possible that there are infinite possibilites.
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:14 pm 
Fan's-Fan

did any one see that ufo thing in new york on T.V.. supposidly it was balloons, but who knows

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:00 pm 
Super-Dooper-Fan

moonlightmirror wrote:
ok if the universe IS infinite then isnt there allso infinite possibilities???
yes i asked question in response to a question

No. The universe may or may not be infinite in time and space and if it was merely infinite in one, than all possible things would not necessarily happen. If you have access to every single lego block in the universe but only 15 minutes in which to build your options are still limited.

Likewise, even if the physical universe exists in perpetuity, matter as we know it does not. Given truly immense timespans even protons eventually decay into smaller radioactive particles. Matter may exist forever, but matter in recognizable forms may not. Once proton decay kicks in things may or may not eventually come around to another big bang. If they do not than things are not infinite.

Furthermore, even in a world with infinite time and space and infinitely cohesive matter, things are still limited by the laws of physics and logic. There is no possible universe in which, for example, the Judeo-Christian God can exist. Period. Given infinite time and space the God of the Bible will never come into existence because he violates logical laws.

ryuk8apples wrote:
did any one see that ufo thing in new york on T.V.. supposidly it was balloons, but who knows

Anyone with functional powers of reason? There is not a single good reason to believe it is a alien spacecraft and tons of reasons to believe it is not an alien spacecraft.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:12 pm 
Fan's-Fan

ryuk8apples wrote:

Anyone with functional powers of reason? There is not a single good reason to believe it is a alien spacecraft and tons of reasons to believe it is not an alien spacecraft.[/quote] true, very true. Your deductive reasoning skill are spectacular.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:15 pm 
Super-Dooper-Fan

If that's sarcasm, I can't tell. And that would be inductive reasoning, not deductive.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:45 pm 
Obsessed-Fan

Yea dude I saw that New York thing. These aliens are lame, where's the laser beams and widespread panic?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next