It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: useful resources
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:57 am 
Devilish-Fan

Location: I have a hair trigger, black magic, and a short fuse; so bring it.
One thing a artist needs is useful resource and reference material, I'm currently sitting at the bargain bin been at barnes and noble and 2 books caught my eye. The element encyclepedia of magical creatures and the element encyclopedia of secret societies. Now I can get both, but this will cut into getting the art supplies I need for a few more days (damn storm stopped me from getting them last week!) So I wonder which would you believe to be a better buy?

Post subject: Re: useful resources
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:38 pm 
Obsessed-Fan

Location: Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
Reading: Priest
Ditch both, go use that money on a $70 Wacom Bamboo Pen tablet
Go back home, plug it in
Download GIMP
Go to Google Images, search for magical creatures and secret societies.
Make a folder on your desktop called 'references'
Save any interesting pic you find into that folder
Start drawing

Total: $70+tax

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:46 pm 
Devilish-Fan

GunZet wrote:
Ditch both, go use that money on a $70 Wacom Bamboo Pen tablet
Go back home, plug it in
Download GIMP
Go to Google Images, search for magical creatures and secret societies.
Make a folder on your desktop called 'references'
Save any interesting pic you find into that folder
Start drawing

Total: $70+tax

1. Why would I bother with digital when I have yet to even reach an accetable level traditionally. I for one find it stupid to jump to the easier of the two really.

2. we have already been over this, don't always run to the internet for resources, open a book, and search for more creditable resources, internet should always be a last resort. The internet is easily full of more inaccuracy than a reality tv show.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:11 pm 
Obsessed-Fan

Doesn't matter what 'level' you're at. As an artist you can go to whatever the silly goose you want, whenever the silly goose you want. Acceptable has no value in this, bro.
Point is. Digital, traditional, it doesn't matter which comes first, there's no hierarch laid out for this. Sure traditional matters on how your digital skill will turn out...but cmon.

As for the internet...I know we've been over this. But I find it to be on the same level as books...maybe even better. Why? You're accessing whatever you want to use as reference in seconds, rather than flipping pages of a book or searching for books...You're pressing a button, and guess what? flipping pages.

Then again I know you're more traditional. So on the original topic. I'd say get supplies first lol.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:38 pm 
Devilish-Fan

Why thing is why even start this, this is ultimately a battle of 2 different philosophies when it comes to creating. The internet isn't always accessible by everyone, sure isn't for me seeing how my laptop has been broken for two days, and is too much of a hassle to carry around with my portfolio case, while not only my supplies but I usually keep 4-5 books in my case. Not to mention it serves more of a distraction than a tool when I get into my thought process of creating and ill never want to carry the thing with me if oi want to do onsight drawings or series illustrations. I view digital drawing as much more of s hindrance than a asset and will only use digital if its absolutely required for studio work, which then that's a different story all together.

So tell me how do you search for what you don't know? You can't because you wouldn't know what you are looking for. A book can easily open you up to something completely different especially when it isn't statically on one subject. On that note instead of wasting time and energy turning on my laptop I have a book sitting right there full of information, more easily accessible, highly more accurate, and as I stated already a lot more travel and energy friendly. And no in neither books nor internet are you accessing in second, even on the internet its foolish just to run to one source you should have at least 4 or 5 other sources supporting that reference, unless you have extensive knowledge in thus subject.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:44 pm 
Obsessed-Fan

Blackmage wrote:
Why thing is why even start this, this is ultimately a battle of 2 different philosophies when it comes to creating. The internet isn't always accessible by everyone, sure isn't for me seeing how my laptop has been broken for two days, and is too much of a hassle to carry around with my portfolio case, while not only my supplies but I usually keep 4-5 books in my case. Not to mention it serves more of a distraction than a tool when I get into my thought process of creating and ill never want to carry the thing with me if oi want to do onsight drawings or series illustrations. I view digital drawing as much more of s hindrance than a asset and will only use digital if its absolutely required for studio work, which then that's a different story all together.

So tell me how do you search for what you don't know? You can't because you wouldn't know what you are looking for. A book can easily open you up to something completely different especially when it isn't statically on one subject. On that note instead of wasting time and energy turning on my laptop I have a book sitting right there full of information, more easily accessible, highly more accurate, and as I stated already a lot more travel and energy friendly. And no in neither books nor internet are you accessing in second, even on the internet its foolish just to run to one source you should have at least 4 or 5 other sources supporting that reference, unless you have extensive knowledge in thus subject.

1:Indeed
2: I type something general to what I want to search for, and search the deepest, darkest parts of Google. You get something different every time...maybe even silly goose.
Or maybe I go to DeviantArt and browse around.
Or go to CharacterDesigns.com and click random pictures.

I see where you're coming from, having books is VERY important. But in this age, having this kind of access is key. And nowdays anyone can access the internet. It's called a library, no offense.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:58 pm 
Devilish-Fan

@ number 2

A what? Lol seriously though only time I even bother with libraries is to look for "the art of" books and to steal their wifi if they give up the password. That's of one is even near me (which there actually isn't one). While I bought both books, and I am loving it, just glancing sat the first page put multiple illustration ideas in my had, especially for the creature A bao A Qu, which is now where I'd go to thew internet to try and find pictures of the victory towers inside.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:02 pm 
Obsessed-Fan

Hey man. I'm just a modern traditional/digital artist. I can't bash your views, the world needs it's traditionalists to stick around of course.
I'm just trying to bring you into this nice little technological light I have sitting over my head lol.

I got a book on fantasy drawings from my nana for christmas...it's pretty damn boss btw.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:08 pm 
Devilish-Fan

Oh who's the artist?

I'm just not a fan of it, painting digitally, and graphic design digitally I can stomach. I love playing with alchemy to create silhouettes, but a serious illustration is something I have to sketch out traditionally. This doesn't mean I won't render it digitally. I have a few illustrations I want to do something to digitally, I just need a 11 by 17 scanner.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:13 pm 
Obsessed-Fan

Book is: "Drawing & Painting Fantasy Figures: From the imagination of the page" By: Finlay Cowan, has a bunch of different artists examples in it...I've actually learned some things too.
Plus I found out about a few awesome artists from it. Mainly being R.K. Post (check this dude out)

Annywaayy...yea. I didn't like digital at first either. But that was until I felt the magic of a tablet.
Now it's kind of weird doing a traditional drawing...it doesn't have an undo button haha...paper is good for building up your stroke and detail confidence, no room to fuck up or you're erasing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:19 pm 
Devilish-Fan

Why does that book sound so familiar?
Oh I have used plenty of those stupid tablets and I hate them, everyone say ill love using the ciintiq but I doubt it. I have to place paper over a wacom just to feel like I'm drawing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:03 am 
Normal-Fan

Listening To: You While You Snore At Night
Reading: How To Stalk Random People
Eating: Your Soul
Drinking: Your Blood
Playing: Your Video-Games
Blackmage wrote:
Why does that book sound so familiar?
Oh I have used plenty of those stupid tablets and I hate them, everyone say ill love using the ciintiq but I doubt it. I have to place paper over a wacom just to feel like I'm drawing.

I know what you mean. I have a touch-matic computer, but it's not the flipping same thing. Heck, I can't even draw good on that computer. Traditional FTW.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]