It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: How can I draw?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:26 pm 
New-Fan

The first drawing you draw is called a sketch...it can be as messy as you want, its goal is to build the idea and let you know where things are...that alone is good enough to build a story. Its what Japanese artists call the "name".

Drawing "pretty" at first attempt is a common error... first must draw sketch to work as guideline...even pros draw this phase...

At sketch phase you must draw all lines even the ones that will be hidden later...
Example:

(I manually drew this using Manga studio and wacom tablet in about 10min, after this i could move to the next panel if i was making a manga, only after finishing the whole chapter made of sketches then the cleanup phase begins)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:03 am 
Ninety-Nine-Nights-Fan

The only difference between traditional and digital is the cost of the materials you'd be needing. As digital provides space for errors because you're not producing garbage anyway while traditional needs a bit of a sure shot factor because you wouldn't want to waste expensive materials. Both ways are still used in professional and production work anyway it just so happens that a lot choose digital because it is a more cost efficient (and being that, recruiting digital artists is also much cheaper) and easier alternative compared to needing to go to shop for art materials when you run out. Having a tablet is not a requirement to be a digital artist, a mouse would suffice so long as you develop the skills for it. I must also say most professional "digital artists" sketch on paper and scan them to color them digitally which makes them not the digital artist misconception. I must say that digital art has too little applications beyond printed media besides the fact that there are more competitors in that industry compared to traditional art. Best way is to go both ways.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:09 am 
Naughty-Fan

I agree with Egoslip here, you can't improve without knowing where your errors are. Best thing is dont look at tutorials, or videos or whatever, post your art up, and take the critics. Then only you'll know why you aren't getting the results you want, where you can improve on first, and etc etc.

As for Traditional and Digital, truth be told, there aren't really any difference, you still need to how to draw/paint to use 'em both :P

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:52 pm 
Normal-Fan

I actually feel for you dude. If you have been drawing for aslong as you say you have and have truthfully been trying to understand it , i really feel for you.

The hand problem is a real sad one too. Too have the ideas in your head but to be phsically limited from drawing them. My sympathies to you.

but seriously , after seing the doug landis link if you really determined to improve then theres always a way.
To lower any barriers you might have in your mind, might i suggest a book
Drawing on the right side of the brain by betty edwards. It really opened my artistic mind and trains your eye aswel as your minds eye and your hands ability to communicate with it.

There are some awesome mouse only artists out there so dont be discouraged. find a good program and get too it.

and remember : Theres no one to blame for bad results but your reflection. And only you to take credit for a masterpiece.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:03 am 
Three-Fan

Location: Wrecking your home and making you call me "New Mommy"!
Drinking: Water
Playing: teehee *blush*
I'm late I think.

I jumped around this thread a bit and I saw "when I go to draw all I see are words like long hair tall " so I'm thinking that OP doesn't think in pictures. He thinks in words and allready said he had grand stories he wanted to tell (or somthing like that) so im fairly sure he would be much more adept at writing rather than drawing.
I honestly think that not every one can draw well ( I don't say "can't draw" because anyone can draw but can they draw well is the real question). I'm not saying give up drawing I'm saying explore other ways of exspressing your creativity. Art is not limited to paper and pictures. You can create or recreate a whole world in some one elses mind with just words writen or spoken.
Everyone says draw from life but that's harder to do if you don't see shape or see how shapes make up objects.

I'm gonna have to go back and read through this thread but this was my opinion and impression on the situation.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:07 am 
Fan's-Fan

Reading: harry potter series
Eating: apples
Drinking: water
Playing: Call of duty black ops
clafann1 wrote:
The first drawing you draw is called a sketch...it can be as messy as you want, its goal is to build the idea and let you know where things are...that alone is good enough to build a story. Its what Japanese artists call the "name".

Drawing "pretty" at first attempt is a common error... first must draw sketch to work as guideline...even pros draw this phase...

At sketch phase you must draw all lines even the ones that will be hidden later...
Example:

(I manually drew this using Manga studio and wacom tablet in about 10min, after this i could move to the next panel if i was making a manga, only after finishing the whole chapter made of sketches then the cleanup phase begins)

Idk but I find that picture sooooo cute :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:11 pm 
Founder

It's because of the cats. :3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:27 pm 
New-Fan

Listening To: Classical Ballet Music
Reading: "Swan" (manga)
Eating: Rose-flavored Turkish delight
Drinking: Black Tea
Playing: Just say -no- to heavy gaming! Get off your ass!
I know this is a bit of an older thread, but I'm shocked that no one recommended this book:

I highly suggest that the OP go out and borrow/buy this book. Read it carefully, and do all of the exercises outlined in the book in order. You may find that this book is far more helpful to you than the more traditional art instruction books and manuals.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:30 pm 
Devilish-Fan

Location: I have a hair trigger, black magic, and a short fuse; so bring it.
LordMoufMouf wrote:
I know this is a bit of an older thread, but I'm shocked that no one recommended this book:

I highly suggest that the OP go out and borrow/buy this book. Read it carefully, and do all of the exercises outlined in the book in order. You may find that this book is far more helpful to you than the more traditional art instruction books and manuals.

Because the book Isn't that good. I still have it and after going through it twice felt I gained nothing from it at all.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:37 pm 
New-Fan

Listening To: Classical Ballet Music
Reading: "Swan" (manga)
Eating: Rose-flavored Turkish delight
Drinking: Black Tea
Playing: Just say -no- to heavy gaming! Get off your ass!
:| Uh, well...I'm sorry then. (I have to laugh and disagree with you though.)

I still highly recommend it, especially for adults who are relatively new to art.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:59 pm 
Founder

@ Blackmage
You probably didn't get it because you already knew how to draw what you see but what she teaches is a good way for new artists to learn how to do just that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:34 am 
Super-Fan

Reading: Sum of All Fear (Tom Clancy)
Playing: Infinite Space
OK, now I want to read the book... I hope I could find it somewhere in my local stores.

Check my DA Account

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:28 pm 
Fan's-Fan

You know, I think Betty Edwards is a great artist. When she teaches her "hows" as to how you should approach drawing, it apparently works for a lot of people. I am a bit skeptical towards her "whys" in the book though; i.e. what the reasons are behind what doing what she does.

For example:

Betty Edwards [paraphrased]: Try not to let negative critical thinking dominate your thoughts, but draw what you see. You should use your right brain over your left brain.

Me: Okaaay. I see no use in completely shutting down half my brain and probably couldn't even if I tried. But I think there's some virtue in getting a freer, more creative mindset over thinking "Darn, I drew this wrong... I drew something wrong again!" ... That's probably what she's getting at.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:49 pm 
Founder

I agree that she gets to be too technical that's why I only recommend her book once in awhile and generally for older people.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:25 pm 
Super-Fan

Reading: Sum of All Fear (Tom Clancy)
Playing: Infinite Space
How much is older?

Check my DA Account

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next