It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: understanding art
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:07 pm 
Fan's-Fan

Reading: harry potter series
Eating: apples
Drinking: water
Playing: Call of duty black ops
well i was reading through this section of the forum and came across a topic that had a post by obitual crow. this is an exact quote
Again,
"do work hard"
I fail to see how hard you worked hard compared to how hard I worked my silly goose to get somewhere in my life >________> Maybe I should post more of my old stuff ahehe, if only I didn't garbage them because their ugliness cannot be unseen.

"read about human anatomy"
Anyone can do that, anyone who can read anyway but only a hand full here actually take their time to understand it. How do you expect to draw a drop dead gorgeous super special awesome dynamic pose if you don't know at least how every muscle included work and make them appear like working ^^

"seeing things in head but thought disappears"
Everyone has such a problem myself included. I never drew images to exact in my head anyway. I simply put down key points to atleast retain the essence of the composition.

The solution can be simply stated in one word: Understand
this came from the topic "how can i draw?"
please somebody tell me how to understand. maybe obitual crow you could tell me if you happen to read this, it would be a great help....i can draw just i have to view a picture and even then i have a hard time. hamachi told the maker of the topic "how can i draw?" to get the book "keys too drawing"...anyways i was wondering if you guys have any good tips for an ametuer artist myself :)
heres my latest drawing (unfinished)

Post subject: Re: understanding art
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:48 pm 
Obsessed-Fan

Location: Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
Reading: Priest
Drawing is as simple as having a vision, and possessing the drive to bring it to life. It wasn't much, but it's all I can think of on a subject with so many non-definite answers.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:10 pm 
Fan's-Fan

GunZet wrote:
Drawing is as simple as having a vision, and possessing the drive to bring it to life. It wasn't much, but it's all I can think of on a subject with so many non-definite answers.

very true :) thanks for posting

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:35 pm 
Super-Fan

Drinking: guiness... all the time.
Playing: CS:S
Observation is key considering artistry is a visual skill and/or talent. Observation of techniques, observation of figures in space, observation of how humans and creatures react to each other... The second step after observation is creation! Recreate what you observe, or create from what you observe. (references) As long as you have the drive to improve and work hard, than you should be fine :) Just practice observation and creation! Repetition creates perfection XD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:16 pm 
Naughty-Fan

I wouldn't say understanding art is the correct way to put it, it is more of understanding what you are doing, and the subject being dealt with.

For example, The Human Body-
In order for us to draw the human body, first we must know WHAT is a human body, right? But how can you establish, or create a human body out of imagination with out seeing the figure right before your eyes, or understand certain muscular areas without learning them?

You must know what the core structure of the human body is, in order to manipulate, and create figure out of your head without the use of any reference. The first step is understanding the basic structure of the human body. By breaking down the complex curvature into simple shapes that we can easily change and rotate to our understanding, and then from that, we must be able to expand on it and create what we desire.

....Hope that made sense, just practicing my English >_<

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:16 pm 
Super-Fan

Drinking: guiness... all the time.
Playing: CS:S
Well.. lookk at it this way.. you are building a skyscraper of artistic ability, the top being a master piece. Each floor of the sky scraper is a new level of knowledge and understanding. These floors stack onto each other creating the tower. Now, the first floor should be the welcoming floor, where you doodle or sketch for fun and simply just get accustomed to having a pencil in your hand (or whatever medium). The second floor should be when you start learning the basics. From this floor on up is hard work, especially if it doesn't come natural. Learn the knowledge of a floor, than put it into practice.. and once that floor is built or conquered, move to the next...

I highly, highly suggest staying away from manga type art until you've had a decent background in some still lifes, or portraits, gesture drawing, and othere basic technical drawing skills.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:55 pm 
Fan's-Fan

Egoslip wrote:
Well.. lookk at it this way.. you are building a skyscraper of artistic ability, the top being a master piece. Each floor of the sky scraper is a new level of knowledge and understanding. These floors stack onto each other creating the tower. Now, the first floor should be the welcoming floor, where you doodle or sketch for fun and simply just get accustomed to having a pencil in your hand (or whatever medium). The second floor should be when you start learning the basics. From this floor on up is hard work, especially if it doesn't come natural. Learn the knowledge of a floor, than put it into practice.. and once that floor is built or conquered, move to the next...

I highly, highly suggest staying away from manga type art until you've had a decent background in some still lifes, or portraits, gesture drawing, and othere basic technical drawing skills.

lol too late ive been drawing manga for months now XD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:28 pm 
Founder

You may be drawing manga for awhile now but you can always go back to real life anatomy and study it. It actually makes understanding how to draw manga easier, imo. Maybe you've seen the suggestion already but I can't recommend Burne Hogarth's anatomy books enough.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:17 pm 
Fan's-Fan

Playing: Life isn't a game. Its a place for fun.
narutofox180 wrote:
Egoslip wrote:

lol too late ive been drawing manga for months now XD

Its never too late to turn back to beginners level just because you've gone past that. And actually the way I understand it, Egoslip means with the sky scraper, that the bottom level is the most important right? Because it supports the rest of the sky scraper. And without the bottom, it doesn't become the full master piece that it could be. So drawing for months without doing something you should have started, doesn't mean that its too late. It only means time wasted.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:07 am 
Fan's-Fan

It discourages me that so much time has been wasted..it's hard for me to doodle because I feel I don't have much imagination....where do I Start? tying in my home? Coffee cups??? Lol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:26 pm 
Founder

Yup. Anything that you want to draw. But if you want to draw the simplest form, try a box or rectangle. Even a sphere or cylinder would be good.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:25 pm 
Fan's-Fan

Rio wrote:
Yup. Anything that you want to draw. But if you want to draw the simplest form, try a box or rectangle. Even a sphere or cylinder would be good.

Cool ^.^ I will definetly start soon

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]