It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Design design design design?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:09 pm 
Devilish-Fan

Location: I have a hair trigger, black magic, and a short fuse; so bring it.
I was wondering a few things about some of the artist here, and I felt this post belonged here more then anywhere else on the bored. Anyways, anime/manga is a large fad with a lot of people trying to imitate and copy it, and many sight like mt up across the web. So I wondered a few things about the artist of mt..

Why did you start drawing? Why specifically anime and manga?

In your time as a artist have you just drawn and continued to draw, or did you ever research things like the principle of design, the golden section/mean/rule.

Do you take being an artist seriously, or just something you do for fun, and not something you would or could devote your life to?

Have you tried doing other things beside anime and manga, or other wet or dry mediums?

Have you research things like organic, graphic, anatomical and so on drawing style?

Post subject: Re: Design design design design?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:17 pm 
Obsessed-Fan

• Why did you start drawing? Why specifically anime and manga?
    It was just something I did as a kid. :\ But I discovered Anime Unleashed on TechTV (RIP) in fourth grade, and I liked the style, so I tried to imitate it. I liked the way the girls in Gundam looked, roflrofl.

• In your time as a artist have you just drawn and continued to draw, or did you ever research things like the principle of design, the golden section/mean/rule.
    Uh. Well. I've been thrown through the motions of art classes, middle school, high school and college-level, alike, and they try to tell you all of that crappitycrap, but the simple truth is that at the end of the day, either you can draw, or you can't. If you are a good artist, a majority of these things should come instinctively.

• Do you take being an artist seriously, or just something you do for fun, and not something you would or could devote your life to?
    I'd rather die at the moment than to have my life devoted to art.

• Have you tried doing other things beside anime and manga, or other wet or dry mediums?
    I've painted, printed, CGed, sketched, inked, woven, dyed, carved, sculpted--it goes on. I can't draw on paper worth garbage, anymore, so my preference is definitely digital. And yeah, I don't draw much of manga anymore.

• Have you research things like organic, graphic, anatomical and so on drawing style?
    I didn't really "research" these things, per se, but I have explored, and I'd venture to say that I'm one of the people on MT that experiments with styles the most (not because I want to, but I just can't settle).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:33 pm 
Fan's-Fan

Umm... because it's fun! Anime and manga are awesome methods of caricature.

In your time as a artist have you just drawn and continued to draw, or did you ever research things like the principle of design, the golden section/mean/rule.
Heh... heh... hahahaha.... if... only... you knew.... <—ω->

Do you take being an artist seriously, or just something you do for fun, and not something you would or could devote your life to?
Well, half-seriously. Being good at anything requires tons of practice. I try to give it time but also have lots of other important things in life to do.

Have you tried doing other things beside anime and manga, or other wet or dry mediums?
Realism and anatomy studies. I like pencils.

Have you research things like organic, graphic, anatomical and so on drawing style?
^See answer #2. I do think that knowledge is a good guide to development, but practice is the only factor that makes you get better ya know?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:54 am 
Obsessed-Fan

Location: Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
Reading: Priest
I started drawing because I could get creative and blow stuff up...in my mind. Why anime/manga? Toonami, that is all.

I've drawn drawn drawn, and drawn. And the only things I've researched is what being an artist means to me, wth would I need to look at a golden rule for. Although in my Graphic Arts class in 11th grade, we went over a few design principles, I forgot em.

Do you take being an artist seriously, or just something you do for fun, and not something you would or could devote your life to? Do I take it seriously? Yes. Do I do it for fun? Yes. I am completely devoted to making my life revolve around art, without it. I might as well shoot myself.

I do everything...and by everything, I'm pretty sure, everything. Whether it be traditional or digital.

Have you researched things like organic, graphic, anatomical and so on drawing style?
What? if you mean have I ever researched anatomy, then yes, but not as deep as your super hardcore artist would...if that's not what you mean, then I don't know.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:35 am 
Three-Fan

Listening To: The dog snoring and the heater warming up
Reading: Ooku: The Inner Chambers
Eating: My own words
Drinking: Sweet Nectar of Success
Playing: *A Love Game*
I think I started drawing cause it was fun, and it was the best way to see the stories and images I liked. There weren't nearly the number of fantasy books for kids then as there are now. But I first started realizing I was into anime when I tried to draw Sailor Moon. I mean, I watched Thunder Cats and The Hobbit, but never realized those were Japanese artists--Sailor Moon was the first connection, and it was so different than western cartoons. I liked it better. Plus it was fantasy, and that's what I've always been interested in.

I've always drawn even before instruction, but I took every High School art class, and took it on as a major in college.

I take it seriously, but I don't know how lucrative it's going to be for me. I mean, I'm working on improving, but there's so many fish in the sea, how to do you stand out? I guess I'm taking it seriously, but still keeping my options open so I don't get thrown debtor's prison :P

Yep. I've done a lot of stuff, but never oils. Mom did oils, but I just couldn't get the hang of it, and I don't have the patience to wait for it to dry. I like water colors and acrylics, though. I did a lot of ceramics, too.

Yeah, cause although I had drawing and life drawing and all that, it helped a lot, but still wasn't enough. It's something I think you really have to keep working at, even after you think you've reached a professional level. Plus, since there weren't any classes on manga here, I had to get guides and look up websites like here to figure the manga/anime style. So I look up different information on various art topics. Can't say I recall everything I've looked up though. I still have a long way to go.

*the edit was just to fix formatting

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:58 pm 
Ultimate-Fan

I started drawing. I don't really know why. I just did. Anime and Manga seemed like the coolest thing to a pubescent 13 year old.
Fuck! There are rules to art? I thought it just had to be pleasing to look at.

I'm hardcore man. I draw more then I do homework or go to school. It's just super important to me. My life just has to be in the art industry. Whether it be 2D or 3D I just gotta have it.

I've almost tried everything. Pottery, 3D, Painting. You name it and I've most likely done it. Doesn't mean I like it better than pencil drawing.

Have you researched things like organic, graphic, anatomical and so on drawing style?
I've researched anatomy. That's it. I probably will look up some stuff for mechanical things, but other then that, I don't care what it takes to get better.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:54 pm 
Lucky-Fan

I started drawing because I saw my dad draw cool stuff and I was like "cool beans I want to do stuff like that!"
I did anime/manga because of Pokemon, of course ;D

In your time as an artist, have you just drawn and continued to draw, or did you ever research things like the principle of design, the golden section/mean/rule.
I've drawn..and continued to draw. Since my dad was like somewhat my mentor sometimes (I'd ask him about random stuff) he'd tell me to work on realism, so for a while I tried to do realistic stuff lol, and worked on shading I guess. I've never actually gone out and focused on stuff like composition or whatever until now thanks to the influence of some people, and I think that's helping my art a lot more. I don't know what the silly goose the golden rule is though sooo :ugeek:

Idunno. I think if I did try to take it extremely serious, I'd just annoy myself constantly. I do take it somewhat seriously considering art is basically my only creative outlet (I don't write, do music, etc etc). Also since I want to do something related to art when I'm older like become an illustrator, I do take time to draw and improve so I can be the best when I'm a lot older.

But I have a feeling that I don't really know what I want...so I don't know

I mean I don't think my art is classified as anime/manga. I think maybe my normal style has a bit of a manga influence in it, but it's not like major to the point where you can classify it as that. I've painted before, though, and I use random stuff sometimes just for fun, like I've painted with a fork and a knife lol. I also mix coloured pencils and markers a lot, or if I'm just messing around I'll rip the paper a bit or mess with it to make the art look cool. I never show people this stuff though since it's not serious

Yeah of course. In fact I tend to take it to the next level and I naturally observe people and their anatomy and stuff, and it's really weird but it's a really good reference okay!! Dx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:11 pm 
Fan's-Fan

I started drawing for several reasons; some are more admirable than others. As I child, I would just draw because it kept myself entertained easily. I noticed that my sister was received as a good artist for her age. Out of sibling rivalry and my greed for being the best, I started to get very interested in drawing. It became a good starting point that motivated me to draw and have a keener interest in it.

I got interested in anime/manga style because of the eyes. I was just drawn to them. :D
The more I studied the style, the more I noticed things that drew me in.

8D
Not realllllyyyyyy. I looked at it somewhat, but not much.
I learned through looking at art.

It's for fun. I love it so I do take it seriously in that manner. I want to devote my life to improving, but not as a career or anything. The only art-related thing I could do as a career would have to do with editing and being the head. (it's just the way I am)

8D
I have try to be a well-rounded artist.(most other works aren't online, but they have been seen by those I know IRL)

I mainly look at art. It's the best tool for learning.(IMO)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]