It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Art classes.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:35 pm 
Fan's-Fan

Reading: harry potter series
Eating: apples
Drinking: water
Playing: Call of duty black ops
So how man of you people on manga tutorial have taken art classes? I personaly haven't and I feel like if I do It won't be considered my natural talent. What do you guys think?

Post subject: Re: Art classes.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:52 pm 
Three-Fan

Why wouldn't it be your natural talent? It's not like they can implant some magical art genius in you or something like that.
That said, I don't really go in for art classes because I don't think it's something that can be taught. But that's just my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:55 pm 

Listening To: All old and new Rock music.
Reading: Toradora
Eating: Anything that has to do with hamburger.
Drinking: Water
I took some in grade 9.

Basically everything you learn there you can learn online, you just have someone who can answer some questions. I personally don't think people have natural talents, they had to have developed them at some point; so keep practicing and it will become natural to you.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:33 pm 
Fan's-Fan

angel_dreamer13 wrote:
Why wouldn't it be your natural talent? It's not like they can implant some magical art genius in you or something like that.
That said, I don't really go in for art classes because I don't think it's something that can be taught. But that's just my opinion.

Like not natural but like I wouldn't have improved with no help. its sorta ridiculous the way I think :/ thanks for the post ^.^

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:35 pm 
Fan's-Fan

ozzaharwood wrote:
I took some in grade 9.

Basically everything you learn there you can learn online, you just have someone who can answer some questions. I personally don't think people have natural talents, they had to have developed them at some point; so keep practicing and it will become natural to you.

IMO I think art classes would help me but Im unsure of it..I would like a one-on-one teacher like I go and it just me and her/him (hope it's a her and not a he cause I don't wanna be alone with some guy o.O) anyways I suppose you are right :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:13 pm 
Fan's-Fan

Listening To: Iron Fire, Hammerfall, Billy Talent, Anti-Flag
Reading: The Necronomicon
I took some painting classes when I was 6 or 7 like the kind narutofox is talking about, but aside from they've just been school elective classes. In 8th grade one of the courses was anime/manga and the other was Gorilla/graffiti art Both incredibly fun(and got to try out some REALLY nice pens in the anime/manga one, pity I can't remember the brand) and a bunch of other middle school basic art classes. Took painting 1 in freshen year, and in the middle of drawing 1 now. My Highschool art teacher is a REALLY good art teacher, although the expectations tend to silly goose off the people in her classes for nothing more then credits.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:39 am 
Normal-Fan

Location: I don't know, but I really need someone to come and get me out of here...
I took art classes for a certain teacher over two years. It was awesome, his thoughts on art, creativity and life in general have had a huge impact on my whole personality. We made cakes every other week because my teacher said that art was for everyone, and for every sense, to enjoy, thus cakes is the most evolved for of art.

Technically speaking I didn't learn much from the classes, what I learned was to appreciate art for it's artistic values, no matter the skill level of the artist. And I would recommend anyone to take classes in general, you always need input from other people, and physical prescence is always prefferable over getting feedback in your art-thread or something like it. It's always hard to determine if a class will be worth your time, but hey, you can always drop out right?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:15 am 
Fan's-Fan

Took three art classes in high school. I only learned to do some stuff from my pottery class; the rest was old information being fed again to me.

I think improving relies on how you learn, and how you are able to understand and apply what you learned. Some learn through others, individually or both. I would suggest taking classes in mediums/styles/subjects you're unfamiliar with.

Quick edit:
Most high school art classes (especially art 1) tend to be for those beginning. Upper classes will focus more on major aspects of art.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:26 am 
Three-Fan

Listening To: The dog snoring and the heater warming up
Reading: Ooku: The Inner Chambers
Eating: My own words
Drinking: Sweet Nectar of Success
Playing: *A Love Game*
You don't have to take classes to get better, or to learn more, however they certainly can't do anything but help. Especially life drawing classes. I mean, you can use what you learn for any type of art you draw--it can even help with abstract art to a degree. This isn't to say you can't become an accomplished artist on your own--there are many out there who do a fine job without official classes, but if you have a chance to take some, I suggest it. I personally can't get enough of art history and the "lab" classes, and would like to take some additional classes just for practice and to learn more if I could.

Also, I didn't learn much in High School. It mostly just kept me interested and fueled the desire to learn more. The teacher was awesome, but he just didn't have the resources or often the time to help students get a full grasp on what each person wanted to know. Not that he wasn't good at his job--he really was--but it's hard to give individual attention in a High School class. So college is a great place to learn more, depending on if you get a good professor or not (which, I think most art professors are pretty awesome by trade.)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:50 am 
Fan's-Fan

Even if you just take basic classes, art classes are going to be useful because they'll push you outside your comfort zone. It's true that if you're entirely dedicated and are trying every possible angle of attack, you can probably teach yourself what art classes would teach you -- but pretty much nobody is, so nobody does. If you get a chance to take one, I would go for it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:47 am 
Obsessed-Fan

Location: Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
Reading: Priest
I had little art sessions in Elementary.
I took art for about 1 semester in all 3 years of middle school.
All 4 years of high school I took art, and made my way up to the highest levels. And also went to a technical school half-time from normal classes just for (digital) art.
Next up, college...community college first, also taking art, it'll more than likely be traditional stuff.
And after community college, I go to the one I really want to go to for Game Art.
Then comes the rest of my life.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:02 am 
Super-Fan

Drinking: guiness... all the time.
Playing: CS:S
Well, I've been engaged in art classes or some shape most my life.. and like it's been said before, there really is a good idea to be learn from other people in person. You never know. Just being in the artistic and studio atmosphere.. man.. i miss it. Art class also teaches you the professionalism of deadlines to uphold. I say it's a good idea and to go for it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:45 pm 
Obsessed-Fan

I took two semesters of art in middle school, one year of art/craft survey in high school, and a college-level visual arts course.

Ehhhhhnhh, I'm starting to realize that some of this stuff really isn't "my thing" a lot of the time, but they were good experiences?

And anyone who thinks that taking an art course will rob their artistic integrity needs a reality check. That's like saying taking a Spanish class will discredit your natural inclination to learn languages.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:09 am 
One-Lucky-Fan

I took art class in school and one in the university. And by my experience, all those classes suck asses. The problem are not the teacher or you, is the informality of the classes and how pretty passives are the teacher who never try to make you better (their standars are pretty low, because I got good grades with stuffs I would never show to someone else, just because it look awful, but in their eyes, they think is good) and this is because most people who take this classes are just for good grades or credits, not because they want to get better.

Now, I'm not saying classes are a waste of time, but now (looking to what I could do in my past) is that, if you talk with your teacher, tell her/him what you want to achieve, they might help you a lot, but if you don't do it, they will never now that you are not in their class for good grades or credits, and is more for your personal interest.

At the end for me, what really helps me (what is helping me right now) are art books, and not the kind of technique ones, but more the ones about theory, structure, composition and appreciation, this is because they don't help you to understand your work and by technically better, it help you to understand the watcher, the one who look at your work and is influenced by this to get feelings and thoughts.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:19 pm 
New-Fan

Listening To: Pokemon Remix Studio on youtube/8-bit Music
Reading: Manga
Playing: Games
Someone almost convinced me to take art classes, but I'd rather learn online.
For one, I love freedom.

And my drawings basically say that. :/

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next