It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: IT508's GGXX and RE4 Drawings
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:03 pm 
New-Fan

Playing: Tekken 6
Hi!

I am a newcomer here and happy and excited to be part of a new community.

I am interested in getting any kind of feedback on two of my drawings (in the order: Slayer from Guilty Gear XX and Leon Kennedy from Resident Evil 4):

These are obviously rough sketches, but I am mainly interested at this point in seeing how I could improve on my drawing proportions, dimensions, level of detail, etc. Basically any kind of technical skill I need to improve on (and I know there are a lot!!!).

I apologize for the paper quality as I accidentally spilled water on the drawing pad before :P

My goal is to improve the technical aspects of drawing before I really start to develop my own style. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Post subject: Re: IT508's GGXX and RE4 Drawings
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:22 pm 
Ninety-Nine-Nights-Fan

Hi there! Hmm, for the first one, I'd say that the shoulders look a bit too wide, and maybe the guy looks a little too short. Also on that one, his right hand looks awkward, but I really like the amount of detail in the clothes. The only thing I see with the second one is that the gun seems to be at a slightly odd angle.
Although they are rough sketches, I can see that you are already a pretty good artist. Totally wish you luck finding a style you like! :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:29 am 
New-Fan

Thanks very much for your reply, Peacelover!

That is the exact kind of critique I am looking for so thanks a lot!

@1st pic: Very true, when I was sketching the 1st pic I had difficult determining how long the legs should be, and I think I ended up making the legs too short in proportion to the overall body so that's why he looks short. I was eyeballing the original picture so this is prob. why my proportions are out of wack.

I need to study more anatomy and general practice of drawing characters to get a feel of personal guidelines that I see other artists using (like the length of the middle finger should be the same length as the beginning of the wrist to the top of the palm...stuff like that!)

@2nd pic: I see now that the gun's orientation does not match up properly with the eyes. I think I need to work on my perspective, and I just recently learned about 1D, 2D, 3D, etc. perspectives. The gun is definitely twisted slightly at an angle such that his eye does not align properly.

I am actually very new to the world of manga drawing and started my first manga drawing ever at the beginning of this year so thanks very much for your encouragement...it means a lot! :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:58 pm 
Naughty-Fan

As far as proportions go, you seem to be on the right track, and i applaud you on your interest in details. :]

On the first picture, I think his head looks too boxy and his hair needs to extend all the way around his head and not just on top. For doing this, you can draw bumps with texture on his right side below his ear and strands following it onto his left side. ... I can't redline but I will get someone in here that may be able to help you with his hair, i can't explain what i want very well. :[ The secod picture is very well done too, my only thing I would work on are his hands and to make sure that you erase his fingers when you produce the gun. I hope this helps some. :]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:07 pm 
New-Fan

Great! Thanks a bunch for the advice, beautiful_wonder!

Upon reading your post, I looked back at the original pictures and compared them to my drawings and I saw your points.

@1st pic: The head is certainly boxy. In the original picture, the head was tilted slightly, but I lost that tilt in my eyeball drawing so I think it gives my head drawing a box look when the chin area should be narrower (b/c of the tilt). Also what does "redline" mean?

Ah, I think I get what you are saying about making the hair more 3-dimensional and wrapping around the head. I could draw bumps at the bottom of his left ear and hair spikes poking out behind his right ear to give the depiction of hair wrapping around his head. The original picture didn't have this, but I think b/c of me eliminating the slight tilt in the head your advice becomes a necessity to make the picture look more congruent and complete.

@2nd pic: Yeah, I was trying to do a quick rough sketch and sorta being lazy at the same time so hence the fingers and hands are not as detailed as they should be. The original picture has him wearing dark, black gloves so I had to imagine the underlying finger skeletons and extensions so that's why it looks rough. But this shows I certainly need to improve on my finger and hand proportions at different angles so thanks for pointing that out!

Also, very nice point about erasing the fingers because the original picture does not have them either. I drew them out just for practice and to give myself a sorta guideline for the rest of the gun.

I am very happy and overwhelmed to receive any type of response at all and am certainly grateful for all the critiques so far. I will certainly take all of your advice with serious consideration and hope to improve my drawing skills in the near future and show something better. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 12:38 am 
New-Fan

Hi everyone!

I am back with 2 new pictures:

1st pic: I realize it looks pretty rough and it's hard to tell what some things are, but my aim here was just to practice environment drawing + perspective.

2nd pic: My motivation here was to pick a really complicated picture and see if I could break it down and replicate the image as best as I could.

As before, any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Also, at this point I feel like I can make a drawing look relatively good and similar to the original if I spend a lot of time on it (I definitely could have spent more time making these 2 pictures look better, but I wanted to post it up sooner rather than later). However, I feel the next step now is to start creating images of my own and I plan on doing that by combining existing images and putting elements of them into my own final drawing. I will let you guys know how that turns out as I experiment...thanks for reading!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]